Pages

January 24, 2009

Quilt and Piece As You Go Double-Sided Quilt Tutorial

For anyone that is interested in this technique. A lady in my Wednesday Patchwork group was making this type of quilt and I fell in love with the concept for using my  tiny tiny pieces of wool batting and small scraps. Hope this helps. If it isn't clear or you need more photos, let me know. I love that you are quilting and piecing this project as you go. You can really do it with any block using squares and rectangles that you build out from the center... I am doing a wonky log cabin design but you can do a simple square and one log cabin round or probably a few other types of blocks using this method.

First you decide what colors or themes you want on each side. I did a neutral side (thinking a summer quilt) and a Civil War repro side. Here are my boxes of scraps of batting neutrals and CW repros.
Fabrics and Battings for Double-Sided Quilt

Next do your center square. I am not worrying about size as mine are wonky strips, but did about a 2 - 3 inch block. These are the three layers I started with, one CW repro, batting and one neutral piece. Layer them like a regular quilt with right sides facing out and scrap of batting in the middle.
DSCN2742
Double Side Quilt First Square layered up

Next take a strip of each of the types of fabric for each side. I layered them with the new strips facing the matching fabrics on each side, so a repro strip , then the center repro square (right sides together), then the batting, then the neutral square, then the neutral strip (right sides together). Sew all 5 layers together with a quarter inch seam.
DSCN2744
DSCN2745

Next press the strips open and stuff some batting scraps or strips in between the two strips which are now facing out. I forgot to take a photo of the batting stuffing, but here are photos of the second strips stuffed and a small 1/8 inch seam to hold it in till the next strip is added to it later. I took photos of both sides.
DSCN2746
DSCN2747

You keep adding log cabin strips by turning the quilt block 1/4 turn and adding another strip. You will always be sewing 5 layers (the block which has the batting and two fabrics and then the two new strips). Here is the block as it is growing and when I finally remembered to show how I stuff the strips! Excuse the ugly Cut and Press!!
DSCN2750
DSCN2751
DSCN2752
DSCN2753

I decided to make 8 1/2 inch blocks so just continued adding log cabin strips till I got till about 9 inches or so and then trimmed the blocks and stitched a 1/8 inch seam around the edges to hold in the batting till it is attached to sashing or the next block.
December 2008
December 2008

I hope I haven't confused you! This is my first tutorial, and it isn't as detailed maybe as it should be. Let me know if you need any more info!!

Hope to catch up with you again tomorrow with projects I have been working on this week!

17 comments:

Cheri said...

Very nice, thank you! I've done some quilt as you go, but never by adding the batting as you have done -- such a good way to use leftover pieces. It all lays flat?
When you start joining blocks, please show us how you do that.

Candace said...

Very nice, and I second the request for more when you join the blocks. Looks doable and fun.

Karen said...

Wonderful tutorial and a great way to use up scraps.

Julia said...

Hi Cathi,
what a great way to use up leftover batting - thank you for showing! I would never have tried it on my own!
Oh, and as Cheri said, I'd be more than happy if you could show us how to join the blocks.
Have a great weekend,
Julia

Karol-Ann said...

I think it's a great tutorial. Bloody hell!! :-) Another fabulous idea for my evergrowing to do list!!

Daneta said...

I think your tutorial is great! I love that a quilt can come together so quickly this way. Thanks for sharing!

Jeanne said...

Great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing. I have plenty of fabric and batting scraps that would work for this method. Please keep us updated on your progress.

rachel said...

so THAT'S how you do it!!!

paulahewitt said...

very easy to follow - thanks. pity i chucked out all my scraps of batting.

Pat T said...

As has been said, another for the list. Looks a great way wof working. Thanks.

sara said...

thanks for doing this tutorial - it's very clear and hard to believe it's your first one. I shall have a go, and start using up all those batting scraps I've been saving for I didn't know what!

Tracy said...

Excellent way of using scraps, Cathi! I, too, would love to see more...And you did great with this your first tutorial--very good, clear photos. I love log cabin--probably my favorite block, it's just so easy and any fabrics make it delightful. Oh, congrats on the weight loss so far...well done you! :o) ((HUGS))

Thimbleanna said...

Very cool Cathi -- this looks like a great way to get your piecing and quilting done all at once!

Taryn said...

Woohoo!! on the weight loss. Doesn't that feel great? Keep up the good work.

Clare said...

Me to - I'd like to see how you join the blocks together.

Thanks for a great tutorial.

Patti said...

Nicely clear - thanks Cathi!

Kerry said...

This is great idea, would love to know how to join all the blocks together

Cheers
Kerry